Saturday, August 10, 2013

Finding out all your favorite bands are pro-choice

One of the really hard things about being a very liberal, grunge/alternative rocker chick who is pro-life, is finding out that all of your favorite bands are pro-choice. I think I found out when I was still assuming that liberals were always on the side of pro-life and vice versa. I had to find out that Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Stone Temple Pilots, and whoever else were, and that L7 actually started Rock For Choice. It is soooo horrible to have to come to terms with the fact that the only people you fit in with, your tribe, your fellow bohemian outcasts, actually advocate for lack of rights for the unborn and women being able to get rid of their own offspring. It makes you feel so weird, and like an outcast all over again, but questioning how people so much like you can be so different in this one way.

The way I came to terms with it is by realizing that this is literally the only thing we disagree on, and that should be worth something. We have all these things in common, all these similar values, all these similar tastes in music and art and vibes and culture, and these people's music is the reason I haven't killed myself yet, and the medicine I use to get rid of all pain and sadness, and what makes me happy and feel connected, so am I really going to throw that away all for one difference? It's not like I'd be able to stop liking their music because of it anyway, and if I didn't have their music, I don't know, I feel like I'd just die or something. I'd cease to exist. Same with feeling like I can relate to these people.

No comments:

Post a Comment